Thursday, February 25, 2010

Going Back to School!!!

Wow! I can not believe that I have been out of high school for five years this May. Crazy stuff. Since then I have been married and have two toddlers under the age of three. I have definitely been busy and it has not always been easy. I kept telling myself, when we get just a little better with finances I am going back to school. Well of course things never get better, especially with a family of four living on one income. Not a high income either. It has been really tough for the past three years but things have been getting a little bit easier. Monday my husband and I were talking about going back to school. So I got online and looked up taking classes on the Internet. This is the only way I will be taking classes because I can not afford a sitter and I will never let my children enter daycare. I am not comfortable with that thought by any means. I have heard way too many horror stories and I am not willing to trust a complete stranger with my kids!
I looked into Kaplan University and into University of Phoenix. Oh my goodness, I can not believe how much more expensive Univ. of Phoenix is compared to Kaplan. University of Phoenix has my info to be able to look at the classes they offer online and now they will not quit calling me. They will not leave me alone what so ever.
I went ahead and applied for Kaplan University and I am very happy with my decision. I have been talking with my Kaplan advisor, Ivory for three days out of this week already. It has been very time consuming. I have filled out my FAFSA papers and I am proud to say I am getting help with 11,000 dollars from FAFSA! I am still looking to see if I am able to get any more help with grants/scholarships. No matter what I will be going. I start school March 24Th. I could not be happier about it. I am going for my associates in human services. I feel very strongly that this will be a very good career move for me. I think at the end of the day I will feel very good about myself and it will be very fulfilling.
Hollis is wanting to go for Criminal Justice. He has talked about being a police officer for as long as I can remember. He has not talked to an advisor yet for it. The cost for his schooling is outrageous compared to how much it is costing me. I really want him to talk to someone about it though. This is something he has always wanted to do. I want him to feel a sense of accomplishment as well. I want him to be happy in his career instead of being stuck in a factory job for the rest of his life. I hope he does it. I want him to be happy in whatever he decides to do.
I love being a mom. I always feel bad though because I have not accomplished much in life. I feel like I wasn't leading a good example for my children. I want them to see that mommy did good in school, went off to college, and made something of herself. I always though I wanted to wait til my kids are out of the house and in school to go back myself. I am scared that if I wait any longer I won't go and things will become worse. With me taking online courses, I don't have to worry about waiting til my kids are no longer home all day. I can get things done with them here and get my schooling done sooner than I had planned.
Anyways, I am so excited. I can't wait. I would start my classes today if I could. I just wanted to let everyone know about how happy and excited I am for the moment. Things are starting to look good for me for the time being!!!

3 comments:

Jessi said...

I'm very proud of you. You can do it!!!

The Thomas Family said...

I don't know if I am going to go to Kaplan University now...

The Thomas Family said...

Thanks for doing my blog by the way.